Toyoken was founded in 1889, when Konosuke Ito opened a Gyu-Nabe restaurant under the name Imafuku
in Mita-Shikoku-cho, Tokyo.
In 1897, the western cuisine restaurant Toyoken was opened next to Imafuku at the recommendation of Hirobumi Ito and his successive ministers. It’s first head chef was Eihichiro Kitagaki followed by Tokuzo Akiyama, who later became a chef to the Emperor, were the first of many superb chefs who passed through its kitchen.
Toyoken was then acclaimed as the Imperial Household Agency’s most frequented restaurant, leaving its mark on the Meiji Era.
Currently, the head office is located in Tsu City, Mie Prefecture, and inheriting its history and tradition, Western Cuisine Toyoken is connecting its history to the future in Moto Akasaka, Tokyo.